Welcome to our Curriculum page. As the Deputy Head I have the strategic overview for our curriculum. Our school curriculum has been developed over time to meet the very individual needs of the pupils at North Ridge High School. We have a differentiated curriculum for each department. Each curriculum supports our pupils in the next stage of their development in preparation for adulthood. We are very proud of the unique curriculum opportunities available at North Ridge High School.
Through our curriculum we aim to:
- -Enable pupils to become confident, resourceful, enquiring and independent learners
- -Foster pupil’s self-esteem, and help them to build positive relationships with other people
- -Develop pupil’s self-respect, encourage them to understand the ideas, attitudes and values of others, and teach them to respect other people’s feelings
- -Show respect for a diverse range of cultures and, in so doing, promote positive attitudes towards other people
- -Enable pupils to understand their community, and help them feel valued as part of it
- -Help pupils grow into reliable, independent and positive citizens
- -Embed British Values
- -Prepare pupils for adulthood
Some of the exciting experiences we offer include:
- -Key skills- literacy, numeracy, communication
- -Enquiry based learning through Philosophy for Children (P4C)
- -Sensory and physical skills- hydrotherapy, Multi-sensory learning, sporting activities and competitions, Duke of Edinburgh, swimming
- -Independence skills- shopping, cooking, manufacturing, personal independence, travel training
- -Social skills- making good choices, getting along with others, managing own behaviour
- -Creative skills- Arts Award, music, ICT
Our visionary opportunities support our local and wider community through;
- -Running the WRVS trolley at North Manchester General
- -Working with Macmillan to make patient making information packs
- -Running our own community `Cup & Cake’ café and `2nd Handmade’ shop
- -Our `Little Cup & Cake’ school based cafe
- -Working with Blackley Cemetery to maintain and develop their grounds
- -Supporting at Heaton Park Animal Centre
- -Working at the Beefeater restaurant
- -Volunteering at Manchester Dogs Home
- -Being Sports leaders at local a Primary School and local sports events.
- -Supported Internship at North Manchester General Hospital
- -North Ridge Gift Co- on Etsy
- -Prom outfit loan service offered to all local High Schools.
- -Horticultural skills at Hulme Garden Centre
Through the rich and varied curriculum activities our students `Do their best’ to become as independent as possible and make a positive contribution within their community.
Please have a look at our curriculum plans and class pages to see what we do.
Mrs Gill Foord